Smart phones have transcended the boundaries of many of their conventional requirements and can now be tagged as high quality cameras, gaming consoles, and document editors on the go. It doesn’t really matter how you use your iPhone – for fun and frolic or formal conversations – a list of contacts is truly necessary if you wish to leverage the convenience of these devices. In fact, when a phone is stolen or it suffers from physical trauma of any sort, users contemplate the loss of contact information with deep regret.. Now, you ask, how to recover contacts from iPhone 6? Or from iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus? Even so, can you recover from previous models like iPhone 4, iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c?
Contacts can be stored in a SIM card or in the phone’s memory. It is the latter option that creates problems because it is quite difficult to probe deep into the proprietary iOS platform to initiate recovery.
This is where Dr. Fone from Wondershare comes in. It is an easy-to-use, reliable recovery program that can successfully retrieve contacts from your iOS device.
Some things to keep in mind:
(Both of these considerations apply to the scan of the iPhone 6 device and its variants – 6s, 6 Plus and 6s Plus.)
1. The iPhone’s iTunes account should not sync once the said device is plugged in because this may overwrite existing contacts. To prevent automatic syncing, simply launch iTunes, choose Preferences > Devices > tap the checkbox next to ‘Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically’.
2. The device scan can’t proceed unless it is in the Device Firmware Upgrade mode or DFU mode. Dr. Fone provides an illustrative step-by-step guide walking users through the process. Times and the exact sequence should be paid heed to.
The Actual Recovery Process How to Recover Contacts from iPhone 6
The iPhone 6 contact list recovery process entails scanning three different locations to ensure a comprehensive search that doesn’t leave any avenue unexplored.
Mode 1: Recover from iOS Device
As already discussed, without Dr. Fone, this might be quite a tricky procedure to go through. But with Dr. Fone’s click convenience, users can simply go through the steps given below.
- Launch Dr. Fone and connect the concerned iPhone 6 (via the USB cord) to a PC or laptop.
- Click on ‘Start Scan’.
- If the device is already in the DFU mode, the scan progresses immediately. Otherwise, users need to activate the DFU mode separately as shown above.
- As the scan proceeds, a progress bar noting the time needed is displayed alongside the ‘pause’ and ‘stop’ buttons. The former can be used to halt the scan mid-way and the latter terminates it prematurely. Both options allow users to immediately recover an important contact they might spot without waiting for the completion of the scan. The directory to the left has nodes and each node stands for a particular data format. The numbers next to the nodes indicate the number of recoverable files of each data type.
- When the scan finally culminates, a display screen with the contacts that can be retrieved are presented for perusal. Users may tick individual items or select them in bulk with the master checkbox. The search bar to the extreme right allows pulling up contacts by name. The On/Off slider can filter the displayed items by showing only deleted items. The blue ‘Recover’ button becomes clickable when the scan ends and pressing it prompts the saving of these contacts as vCards directly to the connected iPhone 6 or the hard disk of the computer.
Mode 2: Recover from iTunes Backup File
- Launch Dr. Fone and choose the second option – Recover from iTunes Backup File.
- From the presented list of files, select the one that is the most likely to contain a copy of the lost or inaccessible contacts. Click on ‘Start Scan’.
- The display screen is identical to the screen presented in Mode 1. The directory to the left still represents the data formats available and the number of individual files for each data format. Users can select the files that they deem important by ticking the appropriate checkboxes.
- Hitting ‘Recover’ completes the process.
Mode 3: Recover from iCloud Backup File
This recovery process takes the least time and is recommended for urgent data loss mitigation.
- Launch Dr. Fone and choose the option: Recover from iCloud Backup File.
- Input your iCloud login credentials.
- Choose the right backup file with the help of meta-data like device name and backup date.
- Click the ‘Download’ button next to the file.
- On the pop-up, tick the box that stands for the data format you are interested in. For the sake of this tutorial, this will be Contacts.
- Allow Dr. Fone to extract and scan the file contents by clicking ‘Next’.
- From the display screen, select the contact files as shown in Mode 1 and Mode 2. All the options work as described before. Click the ‘Recover’ button and save the vCard files either to the PC or to the iPhone 6 device.
Isn’t it easy how to recover contacts from iPhone 6? Even users with no technical know-how can also operate Dr. Fone and initiate satisfactory and effective scans.
Recapitulating the process:
- Choose the recovery mode that makes the most sense given the resources (devices and time available).
- Connect the iPhone 6 to the PC or laptop with Dr. Fone installed on it, if required.
- Pick, download, and extract the backup files for Modes 2 and 3.
- Allow the scan to complete.
- Select the individual contact files for recovery and save them.