How to Restore Contacts on iPhone with Dr. Fone from Wondershare
Our smart phones are an integral part of our social and professional life. However when processor overheating happens, physical trauma to the device or the need to restore factory settings, a lot of valuable data, including contact information may be rendered inaccessible.
Under such circumstances, an iPhone data recovery software like Dr. Fone from Wondershare is the only available option. Dr. Fone is unique! It has the ability to extract and examine data for retrieval in three exhaustive modes, taking into consideration not only the iOS hardware but also the iTunes and iCloud backup files.
Some Cautionary Words Though
1. The more a user waits after data loss to initiate a scan, the lower are the chances of successful recovery. This is because existing temporary cache data is overwritten by information from other applications compromising scan effectiveness.
2. An iPhone device can’t be scanned or probed unless it is in Device Firmware Upgrade Mode (DFU). The DFU activation requires the user to follow a precise sequence of steps and Dr. Fone offers an animated guidance screen to assist.
3. Users must be careful to disable the auto synchronization of data between the iPhone device and its corresponding iTunes account, especially if the account is supported by the same PC/laptop as Dr. Fone. ‘Preferences’ needs to be clicked from the iTunes dashboard, then ‘Devices’ selected and finally ‘Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically’ chosen to complete the setting.
Mode 1: Recover from iOS Device
Recovering data from an iOS device is a relatively tricky business without the assistance of Dr. Fone. But with the application, it takes only 5 steps to conclude a thorough scan for lost contacts.
1. Connect the iPhone to a PC/laptop with Dr. Fone installed on it. This is facilitated by the power cord provided by Apple.
2. From the home screen of Dr. Fone, choose the first option – Recover from iOS Device. This prompts Dr. Fone to identify the make and model of the iPhone.
3. Once the identification is complete, the ‘Start Scan’ button becomes active for clicking. Hitting it either triggers the scan directly if the iPhone is already in DFU mode. And if it is not, the animated guidance screen comes on.
4. Users can recognize that Dr. Fone is in scan mode by two things:
- A progress bar that also notes the time to scan completion.
- The buttons ‘Stop’ and ‘Pause’ beside this bar.
A unique feature of Dr. Fone is that it provides users with the flexibility to peruse items tagged for recovery even when the scan is underway. Users can explore the directory to the left where each stands for a particular data type and, despite the ever increasing value of the numbers beside them, go through the found data and start choosing what has to be retrieved. However, actual recovery requires halting the scan midway with the ‘Pause’ button or terminating it pre-maturely with the ‘Stop’ button.
5. Upon scan completion, the display screen comes on. It prompts users to choose contacts either individually or in bulk through the appropriate checkboxes and then retrieve them with the blue ‘Recover’ button. The search bar to the right calls up the contacts by name if there are too many to go through manually. Users can save the contacts to the connected iPhone by using ‘Recover to Device’.
Mode 2: Recover from iTunes Backup File
iTunes is a part of Apple’s legacy and is the offline backup provision used by iPhone users.
1. Connect the iPhone to Dr. Fone and from the home screen choose the second option – Recover from iTunes Backup.
2. From the list of backup files, select the one that is the most likely to contain the needed contacts. Make us of the options like date of creation, time of creation, file name and size.
3. Upon choosing the needed file, click on ‘Start Scan’.
4. And you are done. The rest of the process is a repeat of the sequence described in Mode 1.
Mode 3: Recover from iCloud Backup File
iCloud is the new member of the Apple roster and is an online cloud storage provision. The same iCloud account is shared by all the devices owned by an individual.
1. Connect the iPhone to a computer or laptop with Dr. Fone installed on it via the power cord. From the home screen, choose the option – Recover from iCloud Backup File.
2. Once this is done, Dr. Fone prompts the input of the iCloud login credentials to allow direct access to the backup files.
3. Choose the backup file that has the highest probability of containing the required data. Users can again make use of meta-data like name and date of creation to guide their decision.
4. Click on ‘Download’ and from the pop-up, select Contacts. Since this tutorial is concerned with the retrieval of contact information, downloading, extracting and examining everything else doesn’t make sense.
5. Hit ‘Next’ and allow the download and scan to initiate. The actual recovery process yet again mimics the sequence defined in Mode 1.
This is how to restore contacts on iPhone fast and easy! Recapping the whole process:
1. Connect the iPhone to Dr. Fone
2. Select the convenient mode.
3. Choose the right backup file from iTunes or iCloud
4. Allow the scan to proceed
5. Reinstate the contacts to the connected iPhone.