Recover Deleted SMS iPhone With Dr. Fone
When multi-tasking iPhone users accidentally delete critical SMS, the chances of recovery are generally slim unless data has been diligently backed up. This is because the tight hardware-iOS coupling makes a system scan quite difficult to initiate.
Dr. Fone from Wondershare is a light weight, efficient application that can recover deleted SMS iPhone in three exhaustive modes increasing the probability of reinstating the data manifolds.
Before Starting a Scan, Please Keep in Mind
1. A scan conducted as soon as a text message is accidentally deleted improves the success of the process as the risk of information overwriting is eliminated.
2. The scan can progress only when the iPhone is in Device Firmware Upgrade (DFU) mode. In order to reach this mode, a sequence of step has to be followed very carefully. Dr. Fone offers an animated guidance screen to assist and instruct users. Please pay attention to the mentioned time frames.
3. Ensure that auto-synchronization of data doesn’t happen from an iTunes account that is on the same PC or laptop as Dr. Fone. Recovery calls for connecting the iPhone to the device and this might trigger the backup process. Simply visit Preferences, scroll down to Device and check “Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically” to prevent the same.
Mode 1: Recover from iOS Device
What is tedious otherwise can be accomplished in as little as four steps with Dr. Fone.
1. Connect the iPhone (all models including the iPhone 4, the iPhone 5s and 5c and variations of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 7 are compatible) to a PC or laptop with Dr. Fone installed on it. Use the power cord to accomplish this.
2. On the welcome screen, select the option Recover from iOS Device and allow the application to identify the make and model of the iPhone. Once this is done, click on the ‘Start Scan’ button.
3. At this point of time, if the iPhone is in DFU mode, the scan initiates. If it is not, the animated guidance screen comes up. When a scan is underway, a progress bar is present at the top of the screen with the time to completion noted underneath. The buttons ‘Stop’ and ‘Pause’ are present to the right. These can be used to terminate a scan prematurely or pause it midway so that text messages can be recovered on the fly.
The directory to the left has nodes, where each node stands for a particular type of information. Users can peruse the files as they are identified for recovery and make the blue ‘Recover’ button clickable by stopping or halting the scan. Only when the scan is allowed to culminate naturally are the numbers against the nodes updated to reflect all the files of a particular type available for retrieval.
4. Once the scan completes, use the display screen to choose text messages individually or in bulk with the help of the appropriate checkboxes. The search bar to the right can call up SMSs by keyword or by sender/recipient’s name. The On/Off slider plays an important role here. It can be used to present only the text messages that were lost due to deletion. As this is the purpose of the tutorial, it is set to On. Hitting the Recover button calls up the option of saving the short messages as HTML files to the hard disk of the PC/laptop or direct reinstatement to the iPhone.
Mode 2: Recover from iTunes Backup File
Long before iCloud, Apple had iTunes to rely on. It is an application capable of saving iPhone data offline in the form of backup files. Dr. Fone can extract these files and recover text messages from them.
1. Connect the iPhone device to the computer with Dr. Fone installed on it. From the welcome screen, choose the second option – Recover from iTunes Backup File.
2. As soon as this is chosen, a list of backup files in the iTunes account associated with the connected iPhone is displayed. It is sorted by meta-data like file name, date of creation and size. Choose the file that is the most likely to contain the required text messages and click on ‘Start Scan’.
3. From here on, the process mirrors the one discussed in Mode 1. The display screen presents text messages that can be chosen for retrieval either individually or in bulk. Users get to reinstate data to the iPhone or save the messages as an HTML file to the hard disk of the PC/laptop.
Mode 3: Recover from iCloud Backup File
Recovery from an iCloud backup file requires the download of the concerned file from the cloud-based iCloud account. iCloud comes pre-installed on iPhone 6 and 7. But it can be specially accessed by iPhone 5 users as well.
1. Connect the iPhone to the PC or laptop with Dr. Fone installed on it. Choose the third option – Recover from iCloud Backup File.
2. Input the iCloud account log-in credentials to display the backup files.
3. From the list, select the file that has the highest probability of holding the needed text messages. This can be done with meta-data like file name and size. Click on the ‘Download’ button.
4. From the data format selection pop-up, tick the option ‘Messages’. This will enable the download of only text messages or SMS from the indicated backup file and shorten the overall scan time. Hit ‘Next’ to move on to the actual scan.
5. The same use of the Pause and Stop buttons as well as the search bar and the On/Off slider as discussed in the previous two modes applies to this one as well. HTML files of the text messages can be saved to the computer or can be synced to the connected iPhone.
None of the recovery modes need more than five steps to conduct thorough scans. That is how easy and user-friendly to recover deleted SMS iPhone with Dr. Fone is!
Recapitulating the essential steps:
1. Connect the iPhone to the PC or laptop that has Dr. Fone installed.
2. Choose the mode that makes the most sense.
3. Select the needed backup file.
4. Allow Dr. Fone to extract its content and scan it for text messages.
5. Recover the required SMS.